Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Is There Only One Way to Fight For Your Country

During a pretty heated discussion on Fox and Friends this morning, Jesse Ventura told Brian Killmead that because Brian did not serve in the military he is not fighting for his country. Brian objected to that indicating that there are other ways to fight. This raised an interesting question for me. Is there only one way to fight for your country?

I in no way diminish the service of those in the Armed Forces. I respect, honor and appreciate the service they do to our country. We would not be a country without those men and women out there fighting for our freedom and our sovereignty. There is no doubt at all that these men and women are fighting for our country. The question is whether or not those of us who have not served, can still fight for our country and what we believe our country should be?

Different people have different talents and approach the fight in different ways. Is the person who pays attention to what's going on, writes their congressmen and speaks out, is that person not fighting for their country? Are people who organize grassroots campaigns to advance a cause they believe in not fighting for their country? Are the people who take to the streets with signs and passion to make themselves heard not fighting for their country? Are bloggers, such as myself and many others, who seek to inform and educate and persuade involvement in the political process not fighting for our country? I like to believe that we are.

Different people approach the fight on different planes. I know that as I sit safely behind my laptop computer in the comfort of my own home that my fight is not the same as the men and women in the military. It cannot compare to the sacrifices that those in the armed services make for our country. I could not be in the military and I know that. I do not have the qualities required to make those sacrifices. Mainly, I can' keep my mouth shut and I don't run unless I'm being chased by something that plans to eat me. I admire and thank God for those who do have the necessary qualities. But does this mean that I do not fight for my country?

I would really like to know the thoughts and opinions of others on this issue. What do we consider fighting for our country. If you consider yourself a fighter, please let me know what your fight is and how you approach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment