Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Irrational Debate

I'm fairly Conservative, if you hadn't already guessed, and in an attempt to find out what the other sides's views are on issues, I logged in to a Facebook forum for Democrats. I was hoping I could engage in some reasoned debates, have some discussions and learn a few things about how the liberals view issues. That is not at all what happened. To be completely honest, after 2 hours in that board I felt the need to shower with steel wool in order to get myself clean.

There was no reasoned debate. Not even the opportunity for it. I was immediately attacked in some of the most vial ways. Profanity was interspersed on every thread, and anything I did say was twisted until it had no resemblance at all to what I actually said. There were 2 men (I won't give them courtesy of calling them gentlemen) on the board who were the most guilty, and unfortunately covered the board with their hatred.

If you think I am exaggerating, when I realized that I had to leave the board for the good of my soul, this is what I said, I admit I wasn't very nice at this point either. "Honestly, I probably won't come back any more so you can admire yourselves for that. But the reason is because I feel dirty after being in this board. I feel like I am seeing the lowest level of society in the form of a few posters and I'm disgusted and sickened by the behavior here. You have served no purpose except to prove me right in my belief that Liberals are irrational, angry, hate filled bullies who's only plan to win an argument is to be the one shouting the loudest. Way to represent your party."

The response I received from Alex Mitchell on that board is the perfect illustration of why I feel dirty. Alex replied with "yea go back to your party, the party of love.....go back to where the pictures of Obama in a nuise, as Mao, or stalin.....go back to your racist party, you fit in well." No matter what I said, Alex Mitchell called me a racist. Or a moron. Or a MFing idiot.

Jacob Shiflett was nearly as bad. Although his accusations that I'm a racist were relatively rare, his nearly every response was that I was a troll. He would respond with a single word post that would simply say Troll. No matter the discussion, that was his response. He dominated the message boards with his flat out refusal to listen to a differing opinion. I'm sure he now prides himself on driving me off of what he consistently referred to as "his board".

Again, if you don't believe me or think I'm exaggerating, then I encourage read the board for yourself, but prepare to douse yourself with bleach afterwards. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=9874&post=41857&uid=2204332151#/board.php?uid=2204332151

In order for the country to be the best that it can be we need the good ideas of each side. Ideas made great by the addition of another perspective. And yet the nation has become so divided that a Democrat and a Republican, or more likely a Liberal and a Conservative, cannot have a discussion on politics without it degenerating into a name calling shouting match. I have friends that are Democrats and we do manage to see each others side of an issue. We may not agree, but we can still acknowledge the other person's side. So why can't we do that as strangers? The flat refusal to acknowledge anything the other side comes up with as worthy of consideration is doing the entire country a disservice. We NEED both sides.

I'm beginning to believe that we will see peace in the middle east before we see reasoned political debate in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment